Monday, July 17, 2017

The "I"s Have It (7.15-7.16-17)

This past weekend the "I"s took over my life-that is my love for D-I-Y (do it yourself) and Ikea.

It started with my first ever trip to Ikea.  The store was huge and full of mostly inexpensive housewares and furnishings. I saw so many things that I'd love to have, but I kept my composure and my pocket tight.  Pam and Makayla journeyed with us for their first visit as well.





I don't think I've ever been in a store that has to give you shopping directions.  :)






After touring the second floor, we decided to try out their cafeteria.  I tried the stuffed chicken, potatoes, and beans.  Everyone else tried the chicken tenders and fries.  It was decent, nothing to brag about, but filling.




Now it was time to hit the first floor.  We spend about 4 hours in the place.  It reminds me of Wal-Mart (because of the wide variety of stuff) mixed with Hills (because of the cafeteria, at least I think Hills had a caf), mixed with Costco (because it's warehouse styled, and you don't get bags for your purchased items).

I walked away with a few goodies, and I do plan on going back to help Dee pick out some things for her upcoming apartment.

I will say that the store definitely sparked my DIY flame.  I'll be needing a new tv stand soon.  And although I know you can get one reasonably priced, I decided to reduce, reuse, and recycle an old Stanley Furniture dresser that's been hibernating in the garage.  When i first purchased it from Craigslist years ago, it was crisp white.  Due to Maya's youthful and creative spirit, it underwent a redesign of crayon, marker, candy, and God only knows what else makeover.  Enter interior black paint and the hope of having a clean look.  Well, the black paint did refrain from turning into an art canvas, but it didn't resist getting chipped and flaked.  It was now time for another makeover.  I went to work removing eh knobs sanding it down, and washing it up.  I decided to use some left hammered bronze spray paint for the knobs and a burgundy red spray paint for the body.   And voila.....

Before....

After...

I absolutely love it.  The color looks brighter in the picture than it actually is.  In the pic you can't see where I left some areas black and left some other imperfections to give it a weathered look.  Maybe I'll see how many times I can repurpose this thing, but for now, this DIY job was totally worth it.

Now I couldn't stop with the dresser turned tv/storage stand.  Friday night I had purchased some foam board and contact paper to make shelf covers.  I got the idea from a video I saw on Youtube.  It's the perfect way to turn drab wire shelving into something with a little more personality and support for the items on the shelves.

Here's a pic from the video that provided inspiration... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7gE4eK-jMc&t=113s)



And here's my version...



I will use the pattern in the video for my master closet and bathroom, but I picked this more neutral color for the pantry to blend better with the wall and counter top colors.  I think my first try was pretty successful, even without having a box cutter.  But of course, I had to get one for the next covers that I make.

I love DIYing, especially with furniture.  It reminds me of how God takes my used up, damaged self, and continues to try to make me new and shiny every day.  Somehow He always seems to find purpose and value in me despite my flaws and imperfections.

No comments:

Post a Comment