Wednesday, May 2, 2018

CaraVAN to SaVANnah (4.27-4.29.18)

It was time to test out minivan camping again in a new city.   Savannah, GA has been on my list for sometime, and since it's only 5 hours away, I had to do it.

I'm still trying to decide whether or not I want to buy a minivan or a conversion van to convert into a camper.  The ultimate end goal will be a Roadtrek Class B van, but I have to take baby steps.
I learned from my experience last July and invested in some better items, i.e. a cot, more stable camping toilet, camping stove, cooler, a rug, blackout curtains, and partition clips.




I had to go "Rufus" on the cot setup to keep it and the items under it from sliding.  Thank God for rope and bungee cords.







I've traveled down I-95 a few times in the past, but I finally decided to make a pit stop to the Tuskegee Airmen Monument in Walterboro, SC.  If you haven't seen the movie "Red Tails" from 2012, you should definitely watch it.  Amazing men!






After a few pit stops along the way, I finally made it to Savannah and treated myself to dinner at Olive Garden.  I was extremely exhausted (despite the nap I took along the route), so I decided to find a "home" for the night, settle in, and read. 

Saturday morning, and my mission was to hit several different spots.  Mission accomplished.

Forsyth Park




SCAD, Savannah College of Art and Design, was holding their annual Sidewalk Chalk Festival.  It's where the students are assigned a spot to be creative using what else, chalk.  I got there too early as most students were still in the creating process.  I did manage to get a few pics




Savannah African Art Museum




I should have taken a picture with my guide, Maxime, but I didn't.  He was a student at SCAD and so knowledgeable.   One of the first things he explained to me was how Africans (he was one) didn't consider the items as art.  In old African custom, anything that was made was made for and with a specific purpose.  The "artist" never put their name  on anything to take ownership or credit since they didn't create the items used in the process.  For example, the piece below is considered art to the Western world, but it's a drinking vessel.  The clay or medium used to create it came from the earth, and they can't take credit for it.


I spent about 2 hours in the museum admiring some of the artifacts.

Ceremonial headpiece

Mankala game (in US spelled Mancala)

Ceremonial masks

The original MK purse.  Sike!!!!  These are actually drums.

I forgot what these were used for, but they were made with "stool" as one of the ingredients.  Smelly!!!

I had so many imaginations in my head thinking about this item.  It's a birthing chair.  I can't imagine sitting in this to pop Dee & Maya out of me.


Spears

Shields



This piece can be considered art, but it's main purpose was to honor Princess Yennenga.  She has an awesome story.  If I had lived during her time, she'd definitely been my role model.




The museum is a private collection of a single owner.  There's no fee, but I had to leave a donation and a positive review for Maxime's information.


Wormsloe Historic Site

I was able to take a small hike and enjoy the peacefulness of the woods.









City Market (downtown Savannah)



These pralines are like crack.  So delicious!!!!  I just wish I would've bought more than 3.  




I met up with my cousin and his girlfriend for a little bit.  Even though he isn't originally from Georgia, he definitely treated me with some Georgian hospitality.  We later met up that night to see the Avengers Infinity War movie. 

I had to pull a Bow Wow and perpetrate like his new ride was mine.  I even tricked the fam into thinking that I went to Savannah just to get this shiny little 550!



WARNING:  If ever in Savannah, and you want to see a movie, DON'T go here.  Terrible.  But the movie was good.



I made William's hotel parking lot my home for the night.  I'm still tickled at Tomeka's reaction to me sleeping in the van.  :)


Sunday morning I just took my time getting ready to head back.  I made a pit stop at the Tanger Outlets in Pooler and headed home.  I really enjoyed my weekend.

Take Aways

1. I really love urban camping!!!!
2. I think I'm going to lean towards the conversion van b/c I really need to be able to stand up.  Also, it will be more room for the hubs.  Eventually, I definitely still want the Roadtrek.
3. I'm looking forward to going back with the fam.  We'll definitely have to go back to get some of those pralines, do the horse buggy tour, go to Tybee Island, etc.
4. I really don't like shopping, unless it is for a specific purpose. 




No comments:

Post a Comment