Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Heavy & Humble (9.14-9.15.19)

I have been trying to visit the National African American History Museum since it opened in 2016.  For all that know, it is a task trying to get the free tickets.  I was finally able to get some in order to attend in September.

As I've heard, it takes nearly all day to tour the museum, and it is worth it.

It's amazing how much of our (African-Americans, Blacks, etc) is whitewashed (pun intended) in schools, especially as I was growing up.  But I will definitely say that the first portion (most of the C levels) are extremely painful and heavy on the heart as a black person.  It baffles me how people today have an expectation that we should just forget about it and move forward, and disregard the fact that our people have had an unfair advantage in this US life.  As someone who  can fairly say that I've experienced little to no direct instances of racism, it is still very painful to think of those who have current experiences and those of my ancestors.  After coming home Sunday, I literally cried myself to sleep thinking of the treatment of my enslaved ancestors and those who had to experience the brutalities of segregation.  I could go on and on, but I wont.  Just know that EVERYONE in the US should visit this museum and take the time to soak in the exhibits.  I'm reminded of one of the final scenes of the movie "A Time to Kill", when Matthew McConaughey's character delivered his closing speech.  Everyone of another race needs to follow suit with what he said.  (If you haven't seen the movie, it's a must see.  Matthew & Samuel L.-love it)

Thank God the other section of the museum, the L levels, lightened the spirit by the end. 






Before heading back to G'boro, we met up with my cousin Kevin.  He took us on a tour of the military base in/near Ft. Washington, MD.  Love my little cuzzo!



No comments:

Post a Comment